Upcoming ceremonies at the National War Memorial
A detailed seismic assessment report has recently been completed on the National War Memorial Building. While Manatū Taonga Ministry for Culture and Heritage works through this report and make sure it understands any implications, the decision was made to temporarily close the building. Pukeahu National War Memorial Park remains open.
Annual national commemorations have been changed to a new format in response to the closure of the National War Memorial and Hall of Memories.
These will now take the form of Acts of Remembrance (wreathlaying ceremonies), which will be held at the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior.
Acts of Remembrance ceremonies will continue to include the appropriate veteran and government representatives, and will proceed under COVID-19 Alert Levels 1 and 2. The public are welcome to attend under Alert Level 1.
List of 2021 ceremonies at Pukeahu
- 75th anniversary of the arrival of Jayforce in Japan – 19 March
- Korean War commemoration – 25 June
- Vietnam Veteran's Day – 18 August
- Merchant Navy Day – 3 September
- Malaya/Malaysia/Borneo commemoration – 16 September
- Armistice Day – 11 November
Updated on 28th June 2021