The New Zealand Oral History Awards (NZOH) provide financial help for the recording of interviews relating to the history of New Zealand/Aotearoa and its close connections with the Pacific.
Projects submitted for consideration should contribute significantly to our understanding of New Zealand’s past and its people.
The deadline for applications is 30 April each year.
Read about the successful 2019 recipients - Oral history awards reveal New Zealand’s stories.
The Ministry does not hold the completed recordings, the original recordings are deposited with the Alexander Turnbull Library in Wellington.
New Zealand Oral History Awards for 2019
A total of $100,198 has been granted to the following groups and individuals:
- Pia Maria Kahn, New Zealand’s ‘happiest migrants’: An introductory oral history of Filipino migrants in New Zealand ($5,068)
- Jacqueline Roberta Keelan-Peebles, Whakapourangi Road ($5,000)
- Keystrokes per minute project team with Dr Judith Aitken, Keystrokes Per Minute: a history of women in the public service typing pool from 1945 to the present day ($3,000)
- Noelle McCarthy, Sex Lives: New Zealand women talk about sex across the generations ($20,690)
- Hannah Benbow and Chantalle Smith, Wellington Dungeons and Dragons ($6,400)
- Voice + Ink - Helen Frizzell, Megan Hutching and Pip Oldham, In My Room (15,000)
- Grace Bateman and Paul Garbett, Ice Skating in New Zealand, Part 1: 1930s - 1970s ( $7,500)
- Susan Maree Lennox, Lower Hutt Women’s Centre: Flourishing for thirty years ($500)
- ZEALANDIA (Karori Wildlife Trust), The First Fence: Voices of Karori Wildlife Sanctuary ($11,540)
- Sue Bradford and Karen Davis, Kotare Research & Education for Social Change in Aotearoa Trust, Kotare speaks: 25 years of education for social change in Aotearoa ($10,000)
- Caren Wilton, Trans lives in Aotearoa New Zealand ($10,500)
- Whakarua Trust Board, Uepohatu: The History of Whakarua Park ($5000).
Terms and conditions of application for NZOH Awards
Information about the eligibility and conditions of the awards including the application form.
Updated on 11th December 2019