News: 9 March 2023
Tairāwhiti and Hawke’s Bay are still recovering from Cyclone Gabrielle and remain under a state of national emergency. Other regions previously covered by the emergency response (Northland, Auckland, Waikato, Wairarapa and Tararua) are now in a transition period. Read more on the Civil Defence website.
Local updates are provided by Civil Defence Emergency Management Groups.
If life, health or property is in immediate danger, call 111.
Financial support available:
- Civil Defence Payments
- Work and Income urgent or unexpected costs - 0800 400 100
- MBIE Temporary Accommodation Service
- MPI Farmer and Grower Recovery grants
- MSD Community Support package
- TPK Māori Development Fund package
View the Cyclone Gabrielle All-of-Government support factsheet
Regional business support:
- Auckland Council Emergency Relief Fund
Government grants for recovery support - grants of up to $40,000 are available for businesses, employers, self-employed people and sole traders in seven regions:
- Northland — NorthlandInc
- Auckland — Auckland Business Chamber
- Coromandel — Thames Coromandel District Council
- Bay of Plenty — Toi Economic Development Agency
- Tairāwhiti — Trust Tairāwhiti
- Hawke’s Bay — Hawke’s Bay Chamber of Commerce
- Tararua — Tararua District Council
Non-financial support for businesses:
Further support may become available through the Red Cross, Mayoral Relief Funds and local councils.
We will update this webpage with available support, and send updates via our newsletter. Sign up to recieve updates here.
Updated on 9th March 2023