COVID-19 is having an enormous impact on those involved in the arts, culture, heritage and sports sectors.
Manatū Taonga is working closely with Crown entities and funded agencies to understand the ongoing impact of COVID-19 on our sector and to determine the most effective way to help the sector recover from the impacts of COVID-19.
New Zealand Government Alert System
Please keep up to date with the current national and regional Alert Levels on the Government COVID-19 website.
Regenerating the Arts, Culture and Heritage Sector
We are focused on the recovery, regeneration and revitalisation of the cultural sector. This page outlines the initiatives we are funding and delivering, to help our sector thrive.
Media Sector Support Package
Government has released the first set of initiatives to provide relief to the media sector, in response to the impact of COVID-19. The initiatives in this package are:
- Transmission fee waiver in which the Government fund 6 months of Kordia DTT & FM transmission fees and RNZ AM transmission fees for eligible organisations as well as transmission fees for iwi radio stations.
- NZOA Platform contribution in which Government fund 80% of the platform contribution fees for 2020/21 for eligible media organisations.
- Advance purchase of news subscriptions which sees Government making advance purchase on news subscriptions for selected government agencies for 2020/21.
- Advance purchase of advertising in which Government will make advance payment for government agency advertising space for 2020/21, to eligible media organisations.
Manatū Taonga encourages everyone in the sector to take advantage of the assistance that is been made available through the Government’s COVID-19 Financial Support Package
The package includes:
- Wage subsidy scheme and extension
- Leave and self-isolation support
- Business cash flow and tax measures.
The wage subsidy component of this package includes all New Zealand employers, contractors, sole traders, self-employed people, registered charities and incorporated societies.
The COVID-19.govt.nz website also provides information about support for essential costs, and guidance for those under financial stress.
Changes to Manatū Taonga's funding rounds, events and processes
Cancelled: Commemoration to mark the 75th anniversary of the
end of the Second World War
- Cancellation of National Anzac Day services and Pacific Memorial unveiling
- Ngā Kōrero Tuku Iho, New Zealand Oral History Awards update
- The Ministry’s monthly Public History Talk series restarted on 15 July
Updates from the Ministry’s funded agencies
Updated on 1st September 2020