2022 Tier 1 event
- 50th anniversary of the presentation of the Māori language petition and first Māori Language Day
2022 Tier 2 events
50th anniversary of equal pay legislation
75th anniversary of Ballantyne’s fire
50th anniversary of first national kapa haka competition (now known as Te Matatini)
75th anniversary of the formation of the National Symphony Orchestra (now New Zealand Symphony Orchestra)
100th anniversary of radio broadcasting
2021 Tier 2 events
- 175th anniversary of the Battle of Ruapekapeka, during the Northern War.
- 125th anniversary of the Brunner mine disaster, New Zealand’s deadliest industrial accident.
- 75th anniversary of the arrival of Jayforce in Japan.
- 50th anniversary of the establishment of the South Pacific Forum, now the Pacific Islands Forum.
- 25th anniversary of the first MMP election.
2020 Tier 1 events
2020 Tier 2 events
- 175th anniversary of the start of the Northern War
- 100th anniversary of New Zealand sending its first official team to the Olympics
- 100th anniversary of New Zealand attending the League of Nations and the 75th anniversary of signing the United Nations Charter
- 100th anniversary of the opening of the Alexander Turnbull Library
- 25th anniversary of New Zealand joining the World Trade Organisation
2019 Tier 1 events
- 250th anniversary of the first meetings of Māori and Europeans between James Cook and Tahitian chief and navigator Tupaia. Visit our Tuia - Encounters 250 website for more details.
- 100th anniversary of the Treaty of Versailles and peace celebrations
2019 Tier 2 events
- 200th anniversary of the first planting of fruit trees and wine grapes
- 150th anniversary of the founding of New Zealand's first university - University of Otago
- 100th anniversary of New Zealand joining the International Labour Organisaton
- 75th anniversary of the abolition of the poll tax on Chinese migrants
2018 Tier 1 events
125th anniversary of women's suffrage (1893)
On 19 September 1893 the Electoral Act 1893 was passed, giving all women in New Zealand the right to vote. As a result of this landmark legislation, New Zealand became the first self-governing country in the world in which all women had the right to vote in parliamentary elections.
- 100th anniversary of the battle at Le Quesnoy - National Commemoration held in France (1918)
- 100th anniversary of Armistice - National Commemoration held at Pukeahu National War Memorial Park (1918)
2018 Tier 2 events
- 175th anniversary of the Wairau incident
- 150th anniversary of the start of the fighting between Crown forces and the forces of Titokowaru and Te Kooti
- 150th anniversary of New Zealand becoming the first country to introduce nationwide standard time
- 100th anniversary of the influenza pandemic
- 50th anniversary of the sinking of the Wahine. The Wahine 50 Trust organised a number of events for the commemoration on 10 April 2018.
2017 Tier 1 Event
100th anniversary of the war in Belgium and Sinai/Palestine (1917)
NZHistory - Passchendaele: fighting for Belgium
Te Ara feature on the war in Belgium
NZHistory - The Sinai campaign
2017 Tier 2 events
150th anniversary of the Māori Representation Act establishing Māori seats in Parliament
NZHistory - Māori and the vote
Te Ara feature on Māori representation
150th anniversary of the creation of the Native School system
Te Ara feature on the Native School system
100th anniversary of the introduction and 50th anniversary of the end of 6 o'clock closing in bars
NZHistory - 'Six o'clock swill' begins
NZHistory - The end of the '6 o'clock swill'
Te Ara feature on the beer swill
50th anniversary of the adoption of the decimal currency
NZHistory - New Zealand adopts decimal currency
Te Ara feature on the decimal currency (view the 1967 decimal currency song here)
Decimal currency move a defining moment
2016 Tier 1 event
- 100th anniversary of the War in France (1916)
2016 Tier 2 events
- 200th anniversary of New Zealand's first school
- 150th anniversary of the Cook Strait undersea telegraph cable and the 140th anniversary of the trans-Tasman undersea telegraph cable
120th anniversary of the first public film screening, 100th anniversary of the introduction of film censorship and the 75th anniversary of the establishment of the National Film Unit
Listen to a Radio New Zealand feature about the history of the National Film Unit here and a second part which first aired in July and August 2016.
- 75th anniversary of the founding of the Royal New Zealand Navy
- 50th anniversary of Vietnam War (Battle of Long Tan)
2015 Tier 1 events
- 175th anniversary of the Treaty of Waitangi (1840)
- 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli campaign (1915)
2015 Tier 2 events
- 150th anniversary of Wellington becoming the capital of New Zealand
- 150th anniversary of the creation of the Native Land Court
- 75th anniversary of the start of regular trans-Tasman air services
- 70th anniversary of VE Day and VJ Day
- 50th anniversary of the Cook Islands self-government
2014 Tier 1 event
2014 Tier 2 events
Updated on 4th November 2021